Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Tomarrowland - A Reimagining


The Tomarrowland Paradox

In a nutshell, Tomarrow land is always going to be dated because it costs too much to update.
I like his points, but this also dovetails with the following.

Tomarrowland Trailer

I loved the vision of Tomorrowland, but man the movie may have killed their chance to renovate.

I decided to stew on Tomorrowland to see what comes out. I doubt any of it is going to be cost-effective, but dang nab it, world building is fun for me. :)

List of Disney Scifi

Before I get started, making a list of material I can draw on.

(leaving out marvel and star wars because they can sustain themselves).

20,000 Leagues under the Sea
Absent-Minded Professor
Buzz Lightyear of star command
Can of worms
Chitty, chitty, bang bang
Earth Star Voyager
Flight of the Navigator
Frankenweenie
John Carter
Honey I Shrink the Kids
Kurt Russel Medfield College trilogy
Mighty Ducks
Moon Pilot
My Favorite Martian
Not Quite Human
Rocketman
The Black Hole
The Cat from Outer Space
The Monkey's Uncle
The Rocketeer
The Shaggy Dog
Tomarrowland
Tron
Tron Legacy
Unidentified Flying Oddball
Wall-E

Feel free to add others in the comments. I think I'm reaching with a couple of them. ;)

Now the Reimagining

I'm agreeing with Disney tomarrowland being a retrofited future, but it has to be based on the 50's and 60's. That is the retro-future that Walt made when he was looking ahead and it really has a lot to work with.

It's the era of laser weapons, jetpacks, Lamey suits, aliens, rocket ships and those awesome weapons from Earth Star Voyager. :p

It's also when they had their high point and they have a ton to work with.

My premise is this is star command. An era of races that have come together in mutual defense and future prosperity. I really like that starport idea that was in the videos.
species that are members of the alliance.

Humans: Take the squared jaw spaceman from the 60's ideal, and make it more inclusive. This is the basis for any humans: big dang adventurers.

Cats: One of my most favorite movies from Disney past is the cat from outer space and these are one of our strongest, abet temperamental allies. Lolcats had the right idea. In fact, I want to make cats the "secret mickeys" in Tomarrowland.

Dogs: Man's best friend has joined us in our quest for the stars. They have been given the ability to speak and are often are strongest space alley and was an icon of that retro-future (ex. Lassie). We basically uplifted them.

Cats and dogs Have a rivalry of course (because whom doesn't want to see Doug and Jake interact) :p

Robots: Robots are all over this future helping out. V.I.N.CENT and Wal-E are the default models for helper bots, but they are also the most likely enemy on rides/events/shows. Mainly because in a ray gun future, evil robots are easier to justify fighting with while keeping a fairly soft rating.
There are also many robots skinned as humans. That's how we explain the uncanny valley of some of the human exhibits.

Aliens: I'm using this as a catch-all from Buzz Lightyear at star command, to Lilo and Stitch. These range from allies to enemies.

AI: Tron saw the future and AI's abound as this world has ai's providing assistance in the alliance. This world is possible to be crossed over with digitalization, especially when an AI goes bad.

The Attractions

1. Space Mountain: I might give it a bit more retro check, but honestly, space mountain has held the test of time, so no need to change.

2. The Black Hole Experience: To heck with the aliens' encounter, Maximillian would be far more terrifying and personal. plus the weird alien ending acts a capstone for the experience.

3. Tron's Deadly Disks: We need at least one Tron ride and the idea of a laser tag like ride with disks amuses me terribly.

4. The Wonders of Flubber: Flubber is one of the many technologies that power the alliance and so we do a mockumentary type exhibit that showcases how flubber has revolutionized the future.

5. Jetpacks. I have no idea how to use them, but you need at least one ride/transport that George Clooney tries to kick you off of. :p

That's my start. Trying to see if it would work at all.





No comments:

Post a Comment